Clinical pathology services are provided at all locations with a large regional reference laboratory located at Carle Health-Methodist in Peoria. To learn more about what our clinical pathologists do, check “Role of Pathologist.”
Clinical Pathology Tests:
- Hematology Test – determines the type and number of blood cells (e.g., white blood cell count).
- Coagulation Test – determines the blood’s ability to clot (e.g., prothrombin time).
- Chemistry Test – determines the chemical makeup of blood (e.g., cholesterol level).
- Microbiology Test – determines the presence of bacteria or other organisms in blood, other body fluids or tissue (e.g., throat cultures).
- Blood Bank – determines the appropriate blood units and components to be used in a transfusion.